Friday, September 13, 2013

American Horror Story; Murder House


I would like to start off by saying that this is the creepiest TV show I think I have ever seen.

Now that that is out in the open, I will move on. I found this first season on Netflix a while ago but it took me until now to really finish it. With season three, and a new story, coming out soon I expect season two, Asylum, to be added to Netflix within a decent amount of time and I wanted to see the first "story" all the way through.

Also, a tid bit of information that some of you might not know. This was created by the same people who wrote Glee. Yes, Glee. Okay so they wrote Nip/Tuck too but come on, Glee!? Mind blowing, isn't it?

Alright. The beginning of this tale is this; basically there is a haunted house that a woman, her cheating husband, and their teenage daughter move into. Through the series you meet many of the victims that were murdered in the house and at times it is hard to tell who is living and who isn't. There is a man in rubber, a screwed up teen named Tate, a messed up family next door and really there is just a LOT going on. You really don't want to miss an episode if you can make it through the first few.

What I really like about the idea of the American Horror Story is that every season is it's own story. There are, I guess, only going to be three seasons. American Horror Story; Murder House, American Horror Story; Asylum, and American Horror Story; Coven.

This first season is quite sexually based but still has its form of "class". American Horror Story has actually been pretty well received on television despite, or probably because of, its gruesome, confusing, sometimes disgusting and completely 'out there' appeal.

Now, the writers and producers Murphy and Falchuk began this project before Glee began production. They wanted to do something completely different and opposite from what they had been writing before that which was soon going to begin production and boy did they hit the nail on the head-- sometimes literally speaking with AHS.

Posted on Wikipedia, it says
"In November 2012, FX chief executive, John Landgraf described the unique format of the series stating, "The notion of doing an anthological series of miniseries with a repertory cast – has proven groundbreaking, wildly successful and will prove to be trendsetting."

 
Well, I certainly like the idea of each season being its own story, even if I do not particularly like the story itself. The idea is good, in my opinion, and sure it will probably satisfy that sick curiosity inside us all, but personally I am looking forward to season two over season one.

As for the actors, some of them might look familure from movies despite it being a TV show. I know right away where I recognized Dylan McDermott, the man who plays the cheating husband and psychiatrist in season one from; The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, though he is no stranger to television having appeared in shows such as Ally McBeal, Dark Blue and Big Shots. Joining the cast is also Connie Britton, Evan Peters, Kate Mara and other selective actors.

Also a note for those who plan to watch season two and three? Some actors may appear again but remember, the first season is its own story so they will be reappearing as different characters, creatures, etc. I look forward to it.

My personal draw toward the first season; you know, what really kept me going through it, was the teenage Romeo and Juliet type relationship between Tate and Violet. Tate is a teenager with his own secrets that you find out about later in the series, and Violet is a stressed out, dark-sided teen who has had to deal with moving, her fathers infidelity, a haunted and messed up house not to mention the potential and awaiting divorce of her parents. Later on she also has to deal with her mother getting pregnant again and her father committing her mother to a psych institute. However, through hard times you see that this messed up kid who began the series as a patient of Mr. Harmon, grow to find true light in the darkness of his life. Now, I use the term Life loosely, but reguardless he is there for Violet no matter what, even keeping the darkest information from her to spare her any anguish until it is to late. Tate lasts most of the series and finally his end is met only because of something he told Violet to protect her from spirits in the house that harassed her. Poor Tate.

The ending of the series was way more screwed up then it had any right to be, but at the same time, it was decent. It shows a family that went through so much there and met their end there. Then, they turn around and make sure the same thing does not happen to others.

I find it weird how ghosts are incorporated though. They do not appear unless they want to, which is fine, I get that. They can't leave the grounds which I get too, but how they can deal with physical things. Sex, objects, hiding how they obviously died. Even the maid aged back and forth. Sometimes it just seems more out there then the last time I looked at it.

Well, Asylum, we are waiting for you to enthrall us. Come now and hold nothing back.

                             

2 comments:

  1. I love American Horror Story! I'm not caught up on the second season yet because it didn't really catch my attention (which is disappointing, as I enjoy asylum-themed horror films). Even though the first season seemed all over the place, I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping they add S2 onto Netflix soon so I can catch up because Coven (I'm really excited for that!) is airing soon!

    I was thinking maybe you could go a little more in-depth with your review, like what write what you thought of the characters, the way the actors portrayed them, the themes & references, etc. Just a little curious, because people (I know I do) love to hear what people think about the characters and such.

    BTW, I really recommend Spartacus, it's an amazing show and one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet Janet! Thank you for the constructive criticism. I am always looking for ways to make my writing and blogging better. I will make sure to add more detail as to what I think of the specific aspects of the things I am writing about!

      Delete