Saturday, September 14, 2013

Insidious

On Friday, September 13th, 2013 Insidious 2 came out. The question is, have you seen the first one yet?

When I first watched Insidious, I freaked out. I love scary movies but a lot of the time, lets face it, some movies under the 'horror' and 'scary' genre's are really none of the above. Insidious however, is one of the movies that freaked me out the first time I saw it.

It wasn't the random popping up of creatures from the long screen shot into darkness that got me like it does in some movies. You know, that moment where the movie is literally set up to tell you that something is going to jump out at you, your nerves just have to guess when? No, this time it was the amazing camera angles where the demon face would be there one moment and not in another or the sudden rush of adrenaline you got when everything seemed normal and it didn't seem like it was supposed to be a particularly scary moment but that, in itself, made it terrifying and unexpected when something actually happened.

Insidious came out in 2010 and was directed by James Wan. The story is about a family who is trying to help their son who went into a coma suddenly after an 'unknown' incident in the attic. However, you find out later that the story has nothing to do with a haunted house nor did it start with the son, Dalton, himself-- but with his father.

Some of the actors and actresses in the movie are pretty well known. Patrick Wilson (Phantom of the Opera, Watchmen, Lakeview Terrace) plays the father and the man with a suppressed past; Josh Lambert while his wife Renai Lambert is played by Rose Byrne (Xmen; First Class, 28 Weeks Later). For the part of the son, and played quite well considering the fact that you are dealing with a kid who spent a lot of his time filming without much to do, was played by Ty Simpkins a child actor who first appeared on television when he was only 3 weeks old! Man, talk about talent! He has appeared in other movies such as War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise and Iron Man 3 with Robert Downey Jr.

I am a big fan of scary movies that can scare the crap out of you. I mean, that is what a horror flick is supposed to be. Not necessarily all the gruesome killing and naked women found murdered everywhere but to scare you with a good story and adrenaline pumping anticipation. This movie does that for me. Now, everyone has different tastes in horror movies but I am really looking forward to seeing the second chapter to Insidious.

Has anyone seen that preview where one of the first audiences to screen it was wearing heart-rate monitors? Does anyone know if that was true 'cause man I agree with the kid on the screen, "How scary is the movie that they make you wear heart rate monitors (for an audience screening)".

Not to mention it is done by some of the people who worked on the Paranormal Activity movies and, I know I know "totally fake", but damnit I love the movies and they still creep me out. But that is for another blog post!

See Insidious before Insidious Two. It will help with the story line holes you feel when watching the second one!

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with you! I love scary movies as well and have watched many including really shitty B-rated films, Insidious was definitely one of those films that was different. I really liked that they talked about the subject of astral projections, which I've never really seen before in movies. I'd love to see more reviews of scary movies :) David & I plan to go see Insidious 2 this Friday.

    ReplyDelete