Friday, September 13, 2013

I Love You, I Love You Not

I Love You, I Love You Not; An Unforgettable Journey Of Discovery.

So true. I watched this movie the other day on Netflix after seeing it floating around for a little while. I first saw Claire Danes in the modern-day adaption of Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio. Jude Law, well who doesn't knot Jude Law? Sherlock Holmes as the incredible Doctor Watson, The Holiday along side Jack Black and Kate Winslet. Such a good actor. This is the first time though I saw him as a teenager. Then Jeanne Moreau. This was the first film I had seen her in but her portrayal as a European-born, Jewish Grandmother who had been through the holocaust and survived was a beautiful and moving character to see. I must admit, I cried in the end.

The story is about a young girl, Daisy, who goes to a prep-school and likes a boy she watches everyday, Ethan. He is the captain of the lacrosse team, student body president, and the picture perfect guy who brings Daisy out of her wall-flower shell. Of course though, things start to take a change after Ethan finds out her grandmother was one of "those" woman who came to his class and talked about life in the camps in Germany. Daisy learns more about herself and that even nowadays people can deal with the same separation of classes and status's that people back then did. All and all, I have to say I saw the heartbreak between Ethan and Daisy coming the moment he told her that "I would never hurt you. I wouldn't even know how", and of course the final nail in the coffin was when he wanted to further their relationship and she asked him to wait. She wasn't exactly liked by his friends not only because of her jewish status because she liked to read in the middle of Central Park instead of run around half naked throwing a Frisbee around. But still, in the end it just goes to prove that segmentation can happen even today, and it makes you take a look at your life.

The movie hit me a little in the personal section of my life because of my own families past in the holocaust, knowing that I had relatives that had to deal with Nazi officers, Concentraition Camps, and other things back then. But I think this is a good movie overall, esp family wise, to really teach teens not to be judgmental of others. It isn't right.

A good movie for the family to help learn and bring people together. Not to mention a good movie to remind you, hug your parents, grandparents, or whoever you love and hold dear every time you can. You never know when they will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment